This project has been a long time comin’!
I started collecting old windows two years ago. There was a local glass/window company in town that gave me randoms, and i just started collecting singles from garage sales, salvage yards and abandoned houses until i finally had enough this spring.
Then i started imagining different ways i could use the windows with enough for each of all four walls.
Once i made up my mind, i started cutting and fitting 2x4s between each window.
I decided to use a large window as the door in place of the patio door you see in the pictures, because the height of the original plan was wayyyy to high!
Your front and back walls have to have matching dimensions and so do your two side walls. They all have to match up exactly the same height. My back wall was going to have fewer windows of different sizes so i had a bit of a challenge getting the windows framed while keeping the same dimensions. But, with very little carpentry know-how, i managed to do the back wall myself in a single afternoon. It wasnt too hard!
Here is a photo of the yard, about two weeks into the project:
Next, rota-till a square of the yard and then filled it in with gravel. The gravel makes it easy to get a level skid, as you can shimmy your crossboards back and forth until it all levels out. We used plywood for the floor because it was all we had.
Next we started uprighting the walls. Once they were all in place we capped the tops by screwing a second 2×4 onto the tops to hold the walls square.
After the bones were all put together, we had to go out and buy roofing. This was the biggest cost of the project. At $30/panel, we needed eleven panels to do the roof. I wanted the greenhouse to be all white, so before we attached the roof i painted the beams.
Adding the plywood walls was a bitch! because once you add that thickness to one area, you have to get every other area to keep the walls flush. My original plan was to use salvaged barnwood as siding but the wood we scrounged was too weathered and fragile. Heres some of the walls getting put up:
When we were adding the plywood, we were over-hanging the window frames by about 3/4″ so that when we put the windows in from the inside, we could push them up against the plywood to hold them in place. Then, on the inside, we ripped strips of 2×4 to use around the windows on the inside.
Heres what it looked like as we were adding windows:
Hey, a rainbow! Two!
After all the windows (and door) were in place, i painted everything white!
I just started adding some hangers and boxes and we planted a few berry and rose bushes around it. We still have to build garden boxes for the inside (one will run the length of each side of the greenhouse, beneath the side windows) but for this year, since its already well into june, we are just growing in pots:
Itll look glorious when the yard is all cleaned up and i have finished my path and planting!